Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mythos - one of the D3 murderers



As I said in the previous post I'm a big fan of hack and slash games. I accidentally saw this ad in one of my friends blog. I immediately downloaded it and started playing. It's D2 style exactly type of game. Well it looks like Torchlight(in terms of cartoonish style), but it's different, it's more addicting. It has a few predone maps as far as I know, but also a dungeon generator, and I must say dungeons are pretty beautiful and detailed, though small for now(maybe because I'm still a low level). There are four races and three classes. It doesn't matter what race you are.

Satyr
Cyclops
Human



Gremlin

Well, that was hard, positioning the pictures. The three classes are Bloodletter(which I chose for my hero and which resembles the barb), Gadgeteer(ranger) and Pyromancer(mage). I must say, graphics are pretty cool, mild and good looking. They are not overdone or anything, not too much effects, not too much shadows, almost perfect, I'll give them 8.5/10. Check them. It's max everything, only without AA.

Note: it's a screenshot from the game, but it's with lowered
quality, maybe the game lowers it when capturing, dunno.
The quality is better ingame, believe me ^_^
Sound on the other side isn't that good, it's not bad, but there are some noises that are annoying, and after hearing them for the tenth time my head almost exploded, I turned the sound off. I'll give it 6/10. As for the gameplay. It's REPETITIVE to the max, GRIND GRIND GRIND GRIND, QUESTS and shit. Though it's VERY repetitive I like it, just can't play it all day, like when I was a little younger. It gets on my nerves at some time. As for the other part of the gameplay it has many things that make it interesting to play. It's the normal skill-tree-level-up-grinder. It has item generators with prefixes and suffixes, WoW quest system, yeah that's what I don't like, I prefer raw grinding mobs, instead of quest system, but well...meh. It has an interesting crafting system. Everybody can craft all of the items, but has a skilltree and choses for himself what items to craft, you can dissolve every equipable item into materials, epic items, bounded items, everything. Check this shit:


The skill tree. When I first saw the skill tree it looked like WoW's talent tree, but then after closely looking I found out that's actually a skill tree, rather than a talent tree. It has more skills, than passives, like in D2. Also you have to UNLOCK the tiers, before skilling this. Like in Titan Quest(a fail to this genre imo).


Well, what can I say more, I LIKE it, I play it, though not very much, just much. If you enjoyed some of the following games you should play this one - D2, Torchlight, Titan Quest, Mu online. That's from me'h for now.

17 comments:

  1. I find it amusing that they are not copying names of races lol

    cyclops=Orc gremlin=hobbit satyr=elf with horns

    xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait so is D3 cancelled now? Or what ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very detailed review, game looks cool. I might try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rotbarsch2011: By D3 killer I mean it's a very strong competition for D3.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree with butcher bradley. great review. have u ever made a video review?

    ReplyDelete
  6. @One Cool Dude: Well I'm waiting for my 9800gt to be back from service to be able to fraps. I'm actually playing with 210gt, AT MAX, can u imagine how low requirements this game has.

    ReplyDelete
  7. big fan of torchlight and d2, i am definitely gonna check this one out

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review! Tragic to hear the news about D3...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I had a friend who was thinking of getting this game. Definitely going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like a great game! I'm still waiting my invite.. >_<

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mythos looks fun actually, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow it looks so much like the torchlight and WoW graphics

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome reviews thank my good sir

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice review! Will seriously consider buying it after this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Not a fan of grinding at all, but I used to love hack n' slash games. Not so much anymore, well... because of the grinding.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Actually looks good, will give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete